Monday, August 10, 2009

Zack & Khalil: A Love Forbidden - Chapter 1


Chapter 1

Zack sat at his locker as his Royals teammates slowly shuffled out of the clubhouse. His right foot tapped furiously on the carpet in anticipation for the moment he'd be left alone.
"Great game today, Zack." remarked a passing Billy Butler.
If only Billy Butler knew how much more complicated life could be. Zack knew. Zack knew better than any one of his teammates.
"Hey Greinke! You da man!" a raucous Joakim Soria shouted as he punched Zack in the back, "You give me eight good innings, I close the game for you."
"That is our arrangement."
"Eh? I never know what you saying man! Don't party too hard now, drive safe." Soria imparted this advice to him every night.
Zack would not be attending a party tonight, but he would be driving.
As the last trainer departed the clubhouse for the night, Zack finally had the room to himself. He reached into his locker, under a pile of Sports Illustrated and Maxim. He pulled out his cell phone, his second cell phone. When he powered it on he was swiftly flooded by seven voicemails and 24 text messages, all marked urgent. He already knew who they were from.
Zack decided to bypass the messages and call back immediately. The phone was picked up on the other end mid-first ring.
"What took you so long? Don't you know I've been dying here?" Khalil was in one of his moods again.
"This is the first chance I've had all day. I'm sorry, I've been busy."
"You're tired of me, I can tell."
"Don't say that, it's not true."
Zack had learned not to fall for one of Khalil's temper tantrums. The best thing was to just let it pass.
"Listen Khalil, I'm leaving for St. Louis right now. I'll be there in about three or four hours."
"I've been alone all day. I'm going crazy over here."
"Let me call you back in five minutes, we'll talk the whole time I'm driving."
"Okay. Hurry though."
Zack hung up and took a deep breath. He couldn't remember what his life was like before Khalil Greene took it over. It wasn't always like this though. He used to be the one emoting on the phone. He couldn't leave Khalil now.


For Chapter 2 of Zack & Khalil: A Love Forbidden click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment