Thursday, August 20, 2009

Carlos Silva: "It's a European Greeting"

Russell Branyan (left): "I think I'm getting kissed more than the other guys."

SEATTLE, WA - According to team sources, veteran pitcher Carlos Silva has recently started greeting and congratulating his teammates with a kiss on the cheek. His Mariners clubhouse has had a lukewarm reaction to the new custom.

"He started [kissing his teammates] a few weeks ago," outfielder Franklin GutiƩrrez told reporters. "That first day I thought he was just happy because he had pitched well, but that guy has tracked me down and pecked me on the cheek every day since then."

"It's a European greeting," the Venezuelan-born pitcher has been overheard telling people before he embraces them and gives them a quick but assured kiss on their cheek.

First baseman Russell Branyan does not appreciate Silva's affectionate custom. "Today he pulled me aside to kiss me in the dugout, and I was just going up to bat. I think I'm getting kissed more than the other guys."

While many players do not appreciate the gesture, struggling young pitcher Brandon Morrow feels he might benefit from more of Silva's attention. "I get that some guys are weirded out by it, but he's never once kissed me. I'm not saying I want him to, but a little bit of acknowledgment would be nice."

"He does not do that to me," Ichiro said through his translator.

No comments:

Post a Comment